My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.birdspert.com
and update your bookmarks.

Bookmark and Share

Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Belize-Texas Connection


A friend forwarded me a wonderful article about a Common Yellowthroat, migrating through Belize, that returned to San Bernard NWR in Texas (not far from where I live). The details are available on the blog Neotropical Migrant Birds in Belize that details the research there that is focused on these long-distance travelers.

Now just where did that bird winter? Here is a bird, whose brain is the size of a black-eyed pea, that can find its way from the tropics back to the Texas coast.There are many nights when I have a hard time finding my house! No matter how long I study these creatures (now over 30 years), they never cease to startle me.

I love Pablo Neruda. Not only a Nobel Prize winning poet, Neruda was a dedicated birder. Here is a quote from one of his poems (translated to English) that captures the allurement of this Common Yellowthroat's wanderings:

Bird by bird
I have come to know the earth

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Ted Eubanks' BirdSpert Copyright © 2008 D'Black by Ipiet's Blogger Template